So you are interested in brewing your own moonshine or other type of liquor? Congratulations, you are about to embark on an exciting hobby that can be as rewarding as it is tasty. But before you move into your new hobby, there is one important item that you will need – a still.
If you are not sure what a still is, it is the tool that you place your ingredients and mashes into with water. Once your ingredients are in the still, you close it up as needed and you heat the ingredients to a set point, this is different depending on the recipe you are using. When it is heated, you turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
The process of heating and cooling the mixture is repeated until you have an alcohol level in your mixture that you desire. It can be a long process but it is something that can be a very enjoyable endeavor.
So as you can see, a still is one of the most important parts of your moonshine toolbox and it is important to get one that is well made and sturdy. You can purchase stills from some suppliers but it is also very easy to make your own still. There are a few pros and cons t both and I will look at them both.
Pros of Making Your Own Still
- Size: You can really play around with the size of your still and make it as large or small as you would like it. Remember that you want to not make it too large and to stay in the size according to your permits.
- Materials: There are a number of different materials that you can use to make your still where when you purchase them, it is harder to find them in some forms of materials. Traditionally, stills were made from copper but today, you can also use stainless steel pots for your stills.
- Cost: Let’s face it, purchasing something already made for you can cost a lot but making the still on your own can help cut those costs in half.
- Availability: Believe it or not, but making your own still can mean that you can start making your moonshine faster. Purchased stills can take time with delivery and in some areas you cannot even purchase stills.
Cons of Making Your Own Still
- Difficulty: Depending on the type of still that you make, it can be quite difficult to make a still properly. It is important to have the proper plans to make your still and to make sure you follow them to the letter.
- Safety: Again, a homemade still can pose some hazards if they are not made properly. Do not skimp on how you make your still as you do not want anything going wrong during the stilling process.
- Cleanliness: Many stills that you purchase are designed to be easy to clean and assemble. In addition, they are usually very clean when you purchase them and there is less chance of contaminants getting into your moonshine.
If you are interested in making your own still, I strongly recommend you read the book The Tested How to Make a Still Blueprint Guide.